Friday, January 25, 2013

My Wine Blog



I don’t remember the first time I tried wine but it must have been when I was really little, maybe around 10.  I wasn’t ready for the taste so a long time afterwards I believed it had the flavor of vinegar.  Over the next several years I would occasionally sip my parent’s red wines and each time decide it wasn’t for me.   I’ve had the same experience with sweet potatoes.  I don’t like them, but when I come across sweet potatoes cooked a new way, I want to like them and give the recipe a try with the hopes of finally finding a sweet potato I enjoy.  So far I have had absolutely no luck with sweet potatoes, but I have had much better luck with wines! 



This is probably how everyone is converted to a wine drinker.  You find a sweet white wine.  It’s like being a kid with a juice box, but it’s an adult juice box so it’s okay.  After deciding I liked white wine, I drank several varieties and became brave enough to yet again tackle the reds.  I do not like Merlot.  This is something I have proved to myself over and over again.  I have heard people call wines dry, but obviously they have to be wrong since liquids can’t be dry.  Merlot has taught me what a dry drink is. And I am not particularly a fan.  The sensation you feel in the back of your mouth when you eat a lot of walnuts and your cheeks hurt from chewing, that is a dry wine to me.  I feel like there is something covering my mouth so it can’t get wet. 



Even though Merlot doesn’t really excite me, I am willing to believe it has a perfect food pair which will convert me.  I hope to learn how to pair wines with foods so that I can enjoy both together. Since the start of the class I have already learned something new.  Just yesterday I went to Kroger and learned from the Kroger wine guy that a dessert wine needs to be sweeter than the food it is paired with or it will be overpowered.  I expected the opposite to be true.  Something I am curious about is the difference in white and red wine production.  I have heard that white wine is made of the same grapes as red but the grapes are peeled; yet I have also heard that green grapes are used for whites and dark grapes for reds.  Searches on Google have left me more confused than before since I can’t find any credible sources that agree with each other.  I’m excited for my new wine voyages to begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment