Friday, January 25, 2013



Wine Tasting Blog 

Name: Bea’s Sweet

Variety: Mead Honey Wine (Dessert/Fortified Wine)

Region: Not Listed on the bottle, nor could I find it on the internet

Country: Germany

Year: Not Listed

Price: 11 dollars and some change
Wine Critic Review: Bright golden color. Rich honey vanilla gelato aromas with a silky, fruity and off-dry medium-to-full body and a lingering honeyed banana, coconut and pear finish with a dash of spice. Very tasty. Review from Tastings.com
My Review: This mead has a really yellow color, it could pass for apple juice in appearance.  It’s definitely sweet and has that standard “wine after-taste feeling” once you swallow it.  I don’t taste anything acidic in it.  It just feels smooth and happy, I guess this is where a wine expert would use the word full, it doesn’t seem scratchy or rough, it seems to have the edges buffed out! 
After trying the Honey Wine alone, I tried it with a dessert, since it is after all a dessert wine!  For dessert I had a hazelnut pudding with a vanilla cream topped with fresh cherries.   They paired together fantastically! I feel like I could not have picked a better wine to complement my pudding! The wine is slightly sweeter than my dessert but not so much that I feel over-sugared.  When drank with the food, it does not have that swallowing-wine after-taste effect.  I’m not sure if this is a universal feeling I’m describing, of if I’m alone in imagining it.  I have been trying really hard to understand what the review mentioned, but I don’t taste the fruits.  I concentrated on the taste of bananas while sipping the mead, but still didn’t recognize even the faintest bit of banana flavor.  I did not detect coconut or pear either.  But I think it would be a perfect wine to eat with a coconut cream pie!  After finishing my wine but continuing with my pudding, I felt incomplete without the mead to complement my dessert, so I indulged in another glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment