Thursday, February 21, 2013

Tasting Les Perles Piquepoul



Name: Les Perles
Variety: Piquepoul
Region: Cotes de Thau 
Country: France
Year: 2011
Price: $7.95
Vintage Cellar Review: Light and young, this is a straightforward but enjoyable selection that would be an ideal match for light fare such as grilled chicken salads or fluke.  Apple flesh, nectarine, and sweet citrus oil aromas and flavors appear on the nose and palate, while the short finish is infused with a flavor of green melon rind.  

My Review: The smell of this wine was not very distinct other than smelling like wine.  I’m not sure if wine critics can tell just by smell with their eyes closed if a wine is red or white, but with this wine I certainly could not.  The color of the wine was not really a warm yellow but had more of a greenish tint to it.  It was semi-sweet to me with a fuzzy warm after affect.  It seemed peachy in fuzziness and feel but not in flavor.  It was not too tangy but had a just enough for the wine to feel structured.  I did not have this with food, but I believe that probably would have helped to bring out the citrus flavors that were missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment