Friday, February 1, 2013

Tasting Black Swan Shiraz



Name: Black Swan
Variety: Shiraz 
Region: South Eastern Australia 
Country: Australia
Year: 2011
Price: $5.99
Black Swan Review: Exhibits flavours of black cherry and peppery spice, blended in harmony to create an elegant, remarkably smooth wine. Medium-bodied in character, our Shiraz offers outstanding mouth feel in a very drinkable wine. The finish delivers soft, balanced tannins and a hint of dark cherry fruit.
My Review: The color of this wine is really dark, it looks black and you can only see red around the very edges where the light goes through it.  After smelling for a really long time it has a somewhat woody scent.  But not in a good way, like maybe wood that was stained not too long ago.  If the bottle hadn’t had a synthetic cork, I probably would have expected to get bits of cork in my mouth from drinking this.  It’s pretty spicy or sharp, I’m not sure what’s the best word here. It’s also fairly dry. I wouldn’t use the words “soft” or “smooth” like the winery description, but they got peppery spice right.  It’s not bad but I am unimpressed, I probably wouldn’t buy it again.  I can’t taste any cherry or fruit, it seems like a pretty standard and uninteresting wine.  I tried having it with mac-n-cheese to maybe improve how I feel about this wine, but all I am really getting from this is the spicy-ness and the alcohol is coming through more than I would like.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment