Friday, April 12, 2013

Tasting Torre Castillo Alegre



Name: Torre Castillo Alegre
Variety: Monastrell
Region: Jumilla
Country: California
Year: 2010
Price: $9.95
The Vintage Cellar Review: 100% Monastrell.  4 months in new American oak barrels.  Bright ruby-red.  Dried cherry, pipe tobacco and rose aromas, with a hint of woodsmoke.  Sweet and fleshy on the palate, with blackberry and cherry flavors complimented by licorice and a suggestion of dried herbs.  The cherry and smoke notes repeat on the finish. 
My Review: This wine smells of rocks and dead fish and the salty sea.  It makes me think of rotting insects when you flip over a rock or rotten log.  It’s dirty and spicy and seems like it has been open too long.  They opened a new bottle at the tasting for me and it still had some of the same qualities, but they were good in this bottle rather than old and saggy it seemed balanced.  I also feel like I just brushed my teeth, they feel clean and smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment