Sunday, March 10, 2013

Tasting Conco Joses Garnacha



Name: Cinco Josés
Variety: “Old Vines” Garnacha
Region: Campo de Borja 
Country: Spain
Year: 2010
Price: $8.99
HarrisTeeter.com Review: Cinco Joses has violet and flashly purple hues. Explosive aromas of plums, blackberries and dark chocolate are friendly on the palate with soft tannins and a fruit forward character.
My Review: This wine has a very pretty deep red to black color.  When I smell it I keep thinking about the texture of cardboard.  I am not quite sure what that says about the wine, but it’s the images that pop up.  I’m a vegetarian, but it makes me also think of steaks.  I guess it is bringing up a lot of associated smells for me, but not really the fruit that was intended to show.  I’m not really getting too much flavor from this wine.  It is dry and bitter once swallowed.  It is a little unpleasant in my mouth so I actually don’t really want to slosh it around and look for the fruit flavors.  I think this wine would definitely benefit from sitting out for a few hours.  So I am coming back to this wine, and it feels a little smoother.  It has been sitting on my counter for an hour and a half.  It is still a little abrasive, but I can get over it.  The fruit I detect is in between a cherry and gumball (the kind off a tree, not the chewing gum).  It has the spike and roughness of a gumball but undertones of a tart cherry.   

No comments:

Post a Comment