Sunday, March 10, 2013

Tasting Hogue Late Harvest Riesling



Name: Hogue
Variety: Late Harvest Riesling
Region: Columbia Valley, Washington State 
Country: United States
Year: 2011
Price: $8.99
The Hogue Cellars Review: Since 1982, The Hogue Cellars has been producing wines of extraordinary quality.  Our wines are hand crafted, using fruit from acclaimed vineyards throughout Washington’s Columbia Valley.  These Riesling grapes were picked late in the growing season.  The result is a refreshingly sweet wine with balanced acidity, and flavors of orange peel, honeyed lemon, and apricot.  It is wonderful on its own or with dessert or cheese. 
My Review: This Riesling has a greenish yellow light color.  For the longest time I always thought Riesling was red, and since the bottle was made of brown glass, I was slightly surprised to see what I had was a white wine.  This wine smells of fruits such as peaches or nectarines and apricots.  It is a little floral, I don’t know what they’re called, but it brings up images of little white flowers with yellow centers.  Though this wine is lacking in acidity, it still has a very tasty sweet and juicy quality.  At first it seems like just drinking apple juice but there is a little bitterness once swallowed.  The aftertaste is distinct form the first taste on the tongue; it’s more floral and heated. I picked this wine out because I really liked the label, and I have to say even though I enjoyed the wine, I still like the label better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment