Sunday, March 10, 2013

Tasting Redwood Creek Malbec

Name: Redwood Creek
Variety: Malbec
Region: Mendoza (fruit from Argentina, but the winery is located in California)
Country: Argentina
Year: 2011
Price: $5.99 on sale original $9.99
Redwood Creek Review: Plush flavors of dark fruit coupled with hints of maple and star anise give our Malbec a velvet finish.
My Review: This wine is very dark, but not a dark red, it’s more of a dark fuchsia, it definitely has more purple and pink tones than orange-red.  The smell isn’t very revealing about the wine.  I really can’t get anything out of it.  Though the scent was not there, the flavors of this wine are quite pleasant.  It’s dry on the middle of the tongue but not on the front or back end.  It’s like my tongue has been divided into a sandwich.  The outside halves with a dry center.  I feel a little bit like I have been sucking on a cutting board for a few minutes, so I am going to interpret that as the oak feeling I’ve heard wine critics mention? Swallowing the wine there is no uncomfortable alcoholic burn, but there is a little bit of pepper that quickly turns smooth.  Now that I’ve finished my class of wine, I feel like I just ate a box of blackberries, they produce the same sensation of aftertaste but not quite the same flavors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment