Saturday, March 30, 2013

Tasting Montebuena Tempranillo



Name: Montebuena
Variety: Tempranillo
Region: Rioja
Country: Spain
Year: 2010
Price: $8.95
The Vintage Cellar Review: 100% Tempranillo; Ripe cherry and blackcurrant on the nose and in the mouth.  Pliant and seamless in texture, with good heft and back-end energy.  Finishes smooth and sweet, with fine-grained tannin providing shape and grip.  Still on the young side but this wine drinks very well and an hour or so of decanting; its an excellent value for Rioja. 
My Review: It smells of cherry spice and vanilla lotion.  It also smells like it has been polished, like it was a surface with rough edges and someone poured clear polish over it to fill in all the rough bumps.  I’m not sure how that’s a smell, but that’s how it makes me feel.  Maybe that means its full? It tastes very dry and tangy with clear bitterness.  It actually somewhat tastes like vinegar.  I find that I usually enjoy Tempranillo but this one is a little too abrasive for me, but I did like smell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment